Thursday, October 26, 2017

Handbag and Book: Riding the coasters w Joanne Guidocio #amusementpark #rollercoaster #leatherhandbag


May 1997.  I was in the thick of my teaching career and very much involved in the extra-curricular life of the school. So, when admin asked for volunteers, I agreed (along with four other teachers) to accompany a bus-load of students to Canada’s Wonderland, the 330-acre theme park located in Vaughan, Ontario about 40 kilometers (25 miles) north of Toronto.

It would be my first time visiting the theme park, and I was determined to go on a few roller coaster rides. Having shied away from the experience during my childhood and adolescence, I knew it was now or never. To ensure that I wouldn’t back out, I shared my goal with colleagues and students.

While discussing outfits with the female supervisors, I quickly learned that none of my leather clutches or totes would be appropriate. So, I rushed out that afternoon to shop for a stylish, small and roomy (love my oxymora!) purse that wouldn’t interfere with my roller coaster experience.

My manifestation skills must have been very strong. I found the perfect Mann* purse, a lovely shade of cognac brown leather with two pouches and a cross-body strap. The following day, I went on three challenging roller coaster rides and lived to tell the tale.

*Leather by Mann, founded by Karnig Mann in 1970, was a family-run business that specialized in leather furniture and accessories. Unfortunately, the Guelph and Kitchener stores have closed.

When Gilda Greco invites her closest friends to a VIP dinner, she plans to share David Korba’s signature dishes and launch their joint venture— Xenia, an innovative Greek restaurant near Sudbury, Ontario. Unknown to Gilda, David has also invited Michael Taylor, a lecherous photographer who has throughout the past three decades managed to annoy all the women in the room. One woman follows Michael to a deserted field for his midnight run and stabs him in the jugular.
Gilda’s life is awash with complications as she wrestles with a certain detective’s commitment issues and growing doubts about her risky investment in Xenia. Frustrated, Gilda launches her own investigation and uncovers decades-old secrets and resentments that have festered until they explode into untimely death. Can Gilda outwit a killer bent on killing again?

On sale for 99¢ until October 27

Find Too Many Women in the Room at:  Amazon

Where to find Joanne: Website

Joanne, I worked at an amusement park. We put a couple of things in our pockets OR tucked in our shirt and put a wallet inside. LOL

5 comments:

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Thanks for hosting me, Vicki. I couldn't help smiling at your solution--pockets and stuffing in shirts. The other supervisors also suggested that option. But I've always been a "purse" girl.

Melissa Keir said...

Pockets are so easy to have something fall out, especially with some of the rides. I think your purse was perfect! The book looks fabulous! All the best!

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Thanks Melissa! Zippered pockets would work. I would need several of those pockets to accommodate all the items I like to carry.

Angela Adams said...

Whenever I wear a pair of slacks without pockets, I feel as if something is missing!

Joanne Guidoccio said...

Ditto for me, Angela! I always carry a purse, but do like the feeling of extra "space" available for a handkerchief, mints, etc. Thanks for dropping by :)